Thursday, January 7, 2010

Waiting for summer.

The past few days, I have been thinking a lot about Mexico because of the bracelets (mentioned later) and my admissions essay, which I have yet to finish.
The city of Reynosa is a place that is very near & dear to my heart. Three years ago, I went on my first mission trip to Reynosa and fell in love. We taught a Bible school in a very poor area of the city. We're talkin no electricity, plumbing, running water, the works. Their "houses" are scraps of wood/metal/etc. that are smaller than my bedroom.
[Don't be surprised if Mexico is mentioned many times in future posts.]
[picture above is during construction of church]
"Great is His faithfulness, His mercies begin afresh each day."
Lamentations 3:23
The kids I've met in Reynosa are the happiest, most God-loving children I have ever met. I have taught youth groups, day camps and Bible schools in Nebraska, and never have I seen kids so excited to learn about God.
I only know enough Spanish to scrape by, but the language barrier is pretty non-existent. They don't care what language you speak, they are just glad to have a person to play with. Since that summer, I have been to Reynosa three more times, and I get more excited with each trip. This coming summer, I will serve as an adult leader (man, I feel old) and go with the high school youth group. I absolutely cannot wait to go and see my favorite kiddies. It will also be a good experience for my future career.

God is good.


[picture is the view as we returned to the US, 2 years ago.]
"I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my permanent promise to you and all the earth."
Genesis 9:12-13
I was in Mexico in July and one of my favorite little girls, Anani, gave me two white plastic bracelets. I never once took these bracelets off, I wore them as a reminder to pray for the people of Reynosa, and also to remind myself of how good we have it here. A few days ago, the second bracelet broke, which is why Mexico has been on my brain. Since then I have been looking at pictures from all 4 trips. When I look at the pictures not only do I see the physical growth of the children, and the amazing transformations that have taken place in that beautiful, wonderful church, but also how much I have grown as a person, and how much my faith has grown because of those kids. The funny thing is, people go down there expecting to teach them, but we are the ones who learn.

Moral of the story is...
if you ever get the chance to go on a mission trip...do it.
You won't be disappointed.

God is good, my friends. So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment