Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Labyrinth.

I woke up at 7:15 this morning instead of my usual 8 0'clock. I was pretty peeved that I was losing out on precious sleep time and thought this was going to be the start of one of "those" days. As I was trying to go back to sleep, I was distracted by a light beaming through the slats of my blinds. I open the window and lo and behold...sun. Maybe I am still asleep, I haven't seen the sun for quite some time, I must be dreaming. It wasn't just sun, but a really pretty sunrise. It didn't even matter that it was still below freezing. The sun was shining. It was one of those little winks from God. I experienced an unusual amount of those today.

It's so easy to forget that everything that is placed in your life is done by God, and for a reason. This one happened yesterday, but it fits the topic. During my Spanish class, we were reading a story with partners, I was spacing out until I heard this: "la confusion y la maravilla son operaciones propias de Dios y no de los hombres." Translated, it says: "The confusion and the marvel are God's own operations and not those of men." In the story, this related to some kind of labyrinth in the desert, but it reminded me of my recent trip to Colorado. While standing in the mountains, it's very easy to confuse trails, get lost and become frustrated. All you have to do is open your eyes and see the beauty that surrounds you. The fear and frustration melt away because you stand in awe of God's creation.
Now apply this to life.

Next up, another class. Intro to the Hebrew Bible. love this class. I get to study what I actually want to read anyway. More on this later.

After I got back to the Burg, I went to get the mail. I had gotten there just in time, the mailman was still sorting the mail into all the boxes. Cute Mailman proceeded to ask me about my day, and not make fun of me when I was putting the key in the wrong lock. He sent me off with my mail, and I walked off wanting to know his story. I wish I wasn't so surprised by Cute Mailman. Trust me, I know how cliche I'm about to sound, but you never know if just saying "hi" to someone while getting the mail is going to affect their day.

After this, I went to a coffee shop to work on some homework and I saw a guy who used to go to my church. I don't think I've talked to him since 6th grade, but seeing him reminded me of all of the people who have since left that church who have impacted my life. [Thank you letters will be sent to them soon!]

Today I also saw a prayer answered. If all works out, I have a feeling this answered prayer is going to have a bigger impact on this person than she thought. I am excited to witness this and have no doubt that she will impact the lives of many others through this process.

Finally--tonight, while I was babysitting, six year old Ellie had arranged an obstacle course for her little toy animals. She talks to them and narrates for them as she carries them over pillows, under toys, etc. While "Elizabeth the Giraffe" was making her way through the course, little Ellie says: "Elizabeth, I know this is hard, but you just gotta think good thoughts and you'll win the race."
My mind was blown.
The little one was just talking about a plastic toy, but it hit me that I needed to take the same advice and apply it to my life.

I find too many things to complain about when it's not necessary at all. I've got more than my share of things to be thankful for to spend time focusing on the bad. After all, if you don't look up from the confusion and frustation, you may not see the beauty.

It was a wonderful day.
[Here we go again with not having the right words to describe this]
Simply put, today I was reminded that
God is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment