Monday, June 25, 2012

Week 3: Country livin'



Last week, I was in Cook, Nebraska.  Living the country life.  I did day camp at Cook last year, so it was really nice to go somewhere familiar.  The counselor I brought with me was great, our coordinator was wonderful, and our host families were incredible.
loved living the country life.  It is so peaceful and beautiful and the people are all so friendly.  I've always known I could never be a "bigger than Omaha" city-girl, but I never thought I would want to be a "middle of nowhere" country-girl.
The couple I stayed with are those people you learn so much from just by being in their presence.  They're the ones who don't even know they are making a big impact on your life.  Dean took us to the farm, showed us where he grew up and told us stories from way back when.  He taught Lynnea and I how to drive a tractor and we fed the baby calves.  He also took us to work at a food bank one night.  That was a wonderful experience.  I never realized there was such a need in these teeny-tiny towns.  The food bank is open on the third Thursday of each month and they give several boxes to each family.  We served 231 people that night.  I saw some of my campers there getting food, and it was really good for me to see where they come from.  Yet another experience that makes me feel blessed beyond belief.



No comments:

Post a Comment