Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Balancing act

Working in good old York, Nebraska this week.  Absolutely wonderful so far.  My host parents are fantastic, the counselor I'm working with is doing a great job, and the kids are pretty much the ideal campers.

Of course, this happens to be a 4-day session instead of the typical 5-day session.  I am so bummed that this  is the one that is cut short.

So far, the biggest pain of my summer has been my online class.  I have been using camp as my required internship and there is a class that must be taken along with it.  It has been a lot more work than I expected.  It has been really hard to find the balance between sacrificing the quality of work I put into my internship (camp) and sacrificing the quality of work I put into the class.  With the way camp works, it hasn't really been possible to put everything I have into both.  I have always chosen the internship over the class, which seems like it should be the most important part anyway, but my professor thinks otherwise.  
To sacrifice pouring my whole self into camp would be the real failure to me.  Read any post I have about camp and you will know that this place means more to me than words can explain.
I finally get to spend a few days on site next week, and I had to tell my boss to put me on work crew, when there is nothing I would rather do than counsel.  My final portfolio is due next week and if I am counseling, I won't have the time I need to finish my papers.
In the mean time, I'll be giving my all to the kiddos.  After all, that's why I'm here.

1 comment: