Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mini Week

Every summer, we have a "mini week" for week 5.  The 4th of July always falls during this week, so we plan the camp week around this.  This summer, mini week was only Sunday-Tuesday since the 4th fell on a Wednesday.  During week 4, I knew that I was not going to be able to be a counselor on site during the mini week, even though there is nothing I would rather do.  I had an impending deadline for my final portfolio for my internship and I knew that I would not be able to finish if I had to be with campers 23 hours a day.  So I asked to be put on work crew.
Normally, work crew is quite a few people and it is hard manual labor for some, and office type work for the others.  This week, however, there were only three of us total.  I got to weed whack for 4 straight hours with the rest of my crew, Cami and Ryan.  That afternoon, thankfully, they needed someone to make sno-cones for the campers.  Cami and I gladly accepted the offer.  The next day, they needed someone to work with a church group that was coming in for the day, again, gladly accepted.  Each morning and evening we did our own worship with the rest of the staff members who were not counseling and we got to eat our meals with this group as well.  Work crew was great bonding time.

The best part of mini week was the fact that I was also put as the health care staff for adult campers with special needs.  Last summer, I worked at this site during mini week as a counselor and it was nothing short of incredible.   I was so happy to see so many familiar faces back at the Sjogren Center.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to not only serve on health care staff, but also to interact with all of the campers at Sjogren.  

Gosh darn it, camp just leaves me speechless.  

No comments:

Post a Comment